Sunday, September 29, 2013

Bunion Surgery

Hey everyone! This is going to be a bit of a longer post (sorry in advance):

So let me just start by saying, for those who don't know what bunions (or as one of my best friends likes to call them; "bunnies") are, they're a build up of bone on either side of your foot (near the toes). Some people have them and they don't bother them; but many people, like me, get them and they cause them pain on a daily basis.

This prompted me to meet with an Orthopaedic surgeon to discuss my options. I was in SERIOUS pain, where I could barely walk some days or would be limping horribly. He determined that based on the X-rays I was a candidate for the surgery, if I felt that it would be worth it. (The process of getting a referral to the surgeon took about 9 months, and then an additional 1.5 years on the wait list for the surgery).

My first surgery was on February 28th, 2013 (Left foot) and my most recent was on September 5th, 2013 (Right foot). Let me just say, this surgery isn't to correct minimal pain for bunions, it is QUITE painful (at least my first surgery was, this one wasn't so bad, although still painful). So please take that into consideration.

If you determine that surgery IS the way to go because you ARE in a fair amount of pain, after the healing (which is about 6-10 weeks, depending on how quickly you heal) it definitely helps and in the long run is worth it!

*For those considering the surgery*:

A couple of tips I learned as I went, which I didn't know the first time around and may have helped make the second one less painful:


  • PREPARE - a couple days before, make a couple dishes or your favourite snacks that you can freeze, to make it quicker/ easier for those taking care of you. I made: peanut butter protein balls, frozen grapes, and frozen fruit covered in greek yogurt. For recipes please comment and I will provide them!
  • STAY OFF YOUR FOOT - the first day after surgery, they add additional freezing to allow you to get home in minimal pain. The first time, I walked in my special boot that a) I didn't know how to properly use yet and b) I couldn't feel if I was causing more damage. So just stay off it
  • ELEVATE - as soon as you get home! I also limited the amount I got up - it takes about 4-5 hours for the freezing to wear off (in my case), so when I felt it starting to wear off, I went to the washroom for the last time/ brushed my teeth, so that when the freezing did wear off, my foot wasn't down. (The change from elevating to putting your foot down can cause a bit of pain).
  • GET CRUTCHES/ CANE - the crutches make it easier for your foot to heal, trust me, you'll need them. The cane is for when you can put pressure on your foot, but it's for added support (I am the worlds clumsiest person, having one working foot isn't a walk in the park).
  • DO SQUATS/ YOGA BEFOREHAND- this might be odd, but having one foot requires a fair amount of core strength and balance, you're going to have to sit on the toilet, stand up from the bed, all with the use of one leg (trust me, this makes it SO much easier to cope). 
  • VITAMIN C- this is your friend! Before & after your surgery, make sure to load up (in a healthy dose) of vitamin c, it's been linked with helping promote healing (I'm not a scientist or doctor, but it was a tip from my dad & with the power of google, I found articles supporting this tip).
  • GRAVOL & GINGER ALE - I was put on prettttyyyy strong drugs & my body is not used to them nor likes them, so I felt horrid and these 2 became my best friends. (Check with your doctor before mixing Gravol with what they prescribe). The perk of Gravol besides calming your stomach - it knocks you out making it a bit easier to sleep through the pain
  • NETFLIX - or any sort of device that doesn't require you to get up and change the DVD. The first week of my surgery my TV is on pretty much 24/7, for a couple of reasons : I would wake up in the middle of the night from some pain and having the TV on would a) give me something to distract myself with and b) relaxed me. (Jennifer Aniston movies and chick flicks worked best).
  • CHAIR IN SHOWER- trust me, standing taking a shower is NOT going to work out, luckily I had a bench in mine built in, but if you go to the dollar store and grab a cheap plastic chair it will make your life so much easier! (As well as in the bathroom for doing hair/ make-up when you eventually go out).
*The first surgery it took me 2 weeks to go downstairs & 3-3.5 before I could walk with a cane (without crutches). The second surgery it took me 4 days to go downstairs & 1 week to walk with a cane without crutches. 

I think using the coconut oil in recipes may have helped as well- it helps promote healing :


If you have any additional questions about the surgery and recovery, I will be happy to answer!


- Courtney xo
If you notice on the picture, how the bone on the right protrudes & the toes are much closer together because of that. 


4 comments:

  1. Hi Courtney,
    I just came upon your post via Pinterest. It was very helpful to read this honest account of what it was like post- surgery. I am scheduled to have my right foot done March 4th and I have been avoiding this for years but am finally in the headspace to do it. I am in Toronto and I wonder if you would share where you had your surgery done? I see that you are from Ontario also...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,

      I am glad this post helped you in some way! I know it is not an easy decision and it is scary, but even though it was painful, I would do it again in a heartbeat, because it does help!

      I had my surgery done in Etobicoke.

      If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask! If you don't, good luck with your surgery, I hope it helps you :).

      Delete
  2. I had bunion surgery back in early June and I am still not allowed to put any weight on my foot. The chair in the shower is perfect and having the TV on 24/7 is what I did after I had it done because all the blood would rush straight to my foot when I would get up and it would be very uncomfortable. You had very good advice, wish I saw it sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 9/27/19 Hi, Courtney - thank you for taking the time to write this excellent blog about your surgery. I am 72 and scheduled (suddenly, bc of bunionette flare up) to have surgery on BOTH feet on Oct 8! After reading your account, I think it unwise for someone my age, with weaker core strength, to have both feet done at once. It sounds unmanageable. The worst part is I was planning to walk the shortest Camino de Santiago route (60 mi) with my husband in June 2020. Now I wonder whether I can recover soon enough. Again, thank you for sharing. I hope your feet are now ✨happy✨!

    ReplyDelete